Tuesday 26 February 2013

Research: Regulations of a Music Video

The regulations of a Music Video are not clearly defined, as it seems that video artists have free reign on what they can include in the music video, this can be shown in a number of explicit videos where they include heavy sexual content. However as I am aiming for a mass audience to see my music video (to reinforce sales of the album and record and to get a bigger following for the artist), I want my video to be broadcast on television, and for this there is certain regulations and restrictions set by Ofcom on what I can include in my video. It is important to note this because if my video is unsuitable for broadcast then the main aim of the music video is lost.

The watershed is an issue because Ofcom will not allow music videos with profanity or sexual content before 9pm. As my song includes the use of offensive language, I will create two similar versions of my music video, an explicit to be played after 9pm and a clean version to be played before the watershed. Because of this I can maximise broadcast times, and potentially allow my music video to be played any time of day.

Other regulations restrict obvious drug use in the video especially before the watershed, this poses a problem as I had originally wanted my female actor to smoke cannabis to compliment the lyric where Drake sings "you're always getting faded", a popular slang-term for getting high. To avoid this issue I have replaced the fake cannabis joint with a ciggerette.

There are also restrictions on provocative dressing, dancing and sexual content, but that will not be included in my video so I would not have to find a way around such restrictions.

Here is a link to Ofcoms restrictions, regarding the watershed and music videos (Opens in a new window)


No comments:

Post a Comment